Gum contouring, or also known as crown lengthening in Singapore, is a minimally invasive cosmetic dental procedure that reshapes gums by removing excess gum tissue around your gum margins and giving them an appealing contour.
This procedure in is ideal for patients with a high lip line and tend to show gum when smiling or talking. It also is the ideal procedure if you are experiencing gum recession, as it will help restore your receding gum tissue.
Do I Need Gum Contouring?
Do I Need Gum Contouring?
If your gums are too high or too low on your teeth and you are unhappy with your smile, you may be a candidate for gum contouring surgery in Singapore as it will help uneven gums. You may need gum contouring if you have:
- A Gummy Smile
If you are bothered about your gummy smile (the showing of too much gum tissue around your teeth when you smile), gum contouring can tackle or reduce the severity of this problem. Your teeth will be exposed to achieve a balanced ratio of pink (gums) vs white (teeth), leaving you with a proportionate and an aesthetically pleasing smile.
- Periodontal Gum Disease
In some persistent cases of gum disease, gum contouring can help to treat and prevent recurrence of the disease by giving your gums enhanced access to home cleaning.
A Deep Cavity in Your Tooth
Teeth that have deep cavities with bases are located beyond the gum line and may be unsalvageable. With gum contouring, the relevant gum line can be lowered to re-expose the floor of the cavity, enabling your dentist to securely place a filling, crown, thereby salvaging your tooth from a possible extraction.
What Does the Procedure Involve?
Stage 1: Gum Analysis
- Your gums will first be thoroughly analysed and measured. If your problem is a gummy smile, some intraoral scans and mouth impressions may additionally be taken to allow you to enhanced visualise the proposed result of your pink (gums) to white (teeth) ratio.
Stage 3: Post-Operative Care
After the procedure is completed, you will be given care instructions on how to look after how to maintain your oral health.
Healing is generally fast and takes place within a few days to a week. You will usually be able to go about your daily routine after a day.
Stage 2: Gum Contouring Procedure
- The procedure will take 15 minutes to 1 hour, depending on the number of areas that require contouring and the complexity of the contouring. Your gums will first be outlined to serve as a guide to your dentist for the contouring process.
- The relevant areas will be completely numbed with a local anaesthetic, so you will not feel any pain at all during the whole procedure, solely some pressure and vibrations. You may additionally be placed under prior IV sedation or general anaesthesia depending on your concerns and agreed individualised treatment plan.
- During the procedure, the dentist will remove specific areas of excess gum using a soft tissue laser or scalpel to resculpt the gum line in order to expose the tooth. Sutures may be used to hold the gum tissue in place.
- Likewise, for receding gums, the dentist will restore areas of gum that are lacking to make sure to expose less of your teeth.
- You may detect a slight burning smell due to the nature of the equipment used. This is normal and part of the process.
Book an Appointment
Fill out the form for any request or questions you have and we will contact you within a working day!
Why Choose Nuffield Dental?
Nuffield Dental is a one-stop, multi-disciplinary dental care centre in Singapore. At Nuffield, we put you first. We believe in providing personalised service for each patient.
The newest and best lifestyle articles selected by our editorial team.
What Is Invisalign? Invisalign is a clear set of plastic aligners that help to achieve straighter teeth. This orthodontic system is used to treat...
All equipment & instruments, including metal cups and drills, are changed after every patient. To do this, we keep a large inventory of...
Just like a natural tooth, an implant is held by your jawbone so your novel artificial tooth feels secure and you can enjoy confidence when you...