Overall, Invisalign offers a more convenient, comfortable, and discreet option for teeth straightening compared to traditional braces. However, it's important to consult with an experienced dentist and Invisalign provider to determine which treatment option is best for your specific case.
Invisalign is a clear-aligner treatment company, an orthodontic system that involves transparent, plastic dental braces. It treats common dental issues such as gapping, crowding, or having a misaligned bite - shifting teeth gradually.
The Invisalign treatment program involves wearing a different aligner as you progress through the stages of the treatment. At each stage, your aligner moves solely the necessary teeth using the biomechanics of a gentle “Smartforce” patented by Invisalign. The results will give you a novel smile.
What Is Invisalign?If you are considering straightening your teeth, you may have heard about Invisalign. Invisalign is a type of clear aligner that offers a more discreet and comfortable way to straighten teeth compared to traditional braces. In this article, we will discuss how Invisalign works, how it compares to traditional braces, how to find a good Invisalign provider in Singapore, and tips for maintaining your Invisalign aligners.
How Does Invisalign Work?
How Does Invisalign Work?
Invisalign aligners are custom-made for each patient using 3D imaging technology. The aligners are made of a clear, smooth plastic material that fits snugly over your teeth. You wear each set of aligners for about two weeks, and they gradually shift your teeth into the desired position. The length of treatment varies depending on the complexity of your case, but most people wear the aligners for 12 to 18 months.
One of the biggest benefits of Invisalign is that the aligners are nearly invisible, so most people won't even notice that you are wearing them. Additionally, the aligners are removable, so you can take them out when eating, brushing, and flossing. This means you can still eat your favourite foods and maintain good oral hygiene while undergoing treatment.
How Does Invisalign's Technology Work?
CAD-CAM digital dentistry technology is used where the Invisalign clinical software system is paired with a unique intraoral scanner, creating a 3D blueprint of your mouth. This is a long way from using the older methods of clay teeth models.
You could also visit invisalign.com or download the Invisalign SmileView app here, to view a simulation of how your smile could look like after undergoing the Invisalign treatment. Watch your smile transform right in front of your very eyes - into its proposed final result - before you even start on the treatment!
Overview of Invisalign Treatment
- Your Invisalign journey begins with a simple intraoral scan to get a 3D digital blueprint of your mouth. This allows your dentist to devise a treatment plan for the gradual movement of your teeth, with input from Invisalign’s AI technology;
- Once finalised, your full series of aligners will be 3D printed;
- The aligners gradually move your teeth, so it is eventually properly positioned - incrementally straightening your teeth. Each aligner is worn for around two weeks, before progressing on to the next aligner;
- After your treatment is completed, a retainer is worn to sustain the results achieved.
Overview of Invisalign Treatment
What Does the Procedure Involve?
Stage 1: Pre-Treatment Consultation
During your initial treatment consultation, you will be advised on whether any pre-treatment preparations need to be made. This may include the extraction of teeth, to create the required space for teeth movement.
Stage 3: Post-Treatment Care
After your Invisalign treatment has been completed, any existing tooth coloured nodules initially placed on your teeth will be removed, and your teeth and gums will be thoroughly cleaned.
You will likely see a noticeable, positive change to your smile and entire face.
To sustain the results, you will be provided retainers and instructions for their wear.
Stage 2: Invisalign
Once all the preparations have been made, your Invisalign treatment can now begin. Depending on the tooth movements required, tiny tooth-coloured nodes may need to be attached to some of your teeth to assist your aligners in their movement.
- You will be provided with your first set of aligners to wear.
- Patients usually fully adjust to their novel Invisalign clear aligners very quickly, experiencing minimal discomfort while getting used to them.
- To achieve successful results, you must wear your aligners at least 22 hours a day, solely removing them when you are eating or cleaning your teeth.
- Your dentist will review your progress every 4 to 8 weeks, and provide you with your next few sets of aligners.
- Average treatment time varies from 9 to 15 months, with an average of 18 to 30 aligners. However, the number of aligners and total treatment time will ultimately depend on the complexity of your condition, your consistency of wear and your ability to maintain a good level of oral health.
Book an Appointment
Fill out the form for any request or questions you have and we will contact you within one working day..
Why Choose Nuffield Dental?
Nuffield Dental is a one-stop, multi-disciplinary dental care centre. At Nuffield, we put you first. We believe in providing personalised service for each patient.
The newest and best lifestyle articles selected by our editorial team.
Traditional braces have done wonders for millions of people around the world, but the new generation of clear aligners are here to step up the game....
What are Veneers? Veneers are thin, tooth-coloured layers that are applied to the surface of teeth to improve their appearance. It is a painless...
What is cosmetic dentistry? Not blessed with straight, pearly white teeth? Cosmetic dentistry can give you that healthy, confident smile! This dental...